[sldev] Re: Exporting stuff, permissions, and licenses

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 25 21:23:05 PDT 2008

In terms of trying to figure out what carts and horses might look like :)
I'd urge people to take a look at the draft trust-model use-cases on the
Wiki:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Infinity_Linden/OGP_Trust_Model_UseCases

These give various use-cases to try to put some reality behind the
asset-related parts of OGP (which are just starting to be developed).

The use cases are built around the various stakeholders and requirements
outlined in the draft trust model:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Infinity_Linden/OGP_Trust_Model

and finally I've tried to synthesize the existing discussion as it relates
to OGP requirements for asset handling (as well as pointers to other
related pages) here:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Dale_Innis/Asset_handling_in_OGP

So far it doesn't look to me like there has to be much about asset
permissions in OGP.  An asset's permissions need to be represented in its
metadata, and either every domain must know out-of-band what permission
scheme(s) are supported by the other domains with which it does business,
or OGP needs to have a way for one domain to ask another domain that
scheme(s) it supports (and for it to understand the answer).

Not looking like rocket science so far.  :)  And it being a Wiki and all
constructuve comments and improvements and expansions are eagerly sought.

And little or none of this is assumes anything in particular about what
the permission system is (i.e it can be c/m/t, or anything else
machine-representable that you like).  It only assumes that if I'm (say)
SL, and I only want to (say) let a given no-copy object flow to other
grids that support no-copy, I need to be able to determine whether or not
a given other domain supports that.  (Where "determine" doesn't mean "have
impossible magic knowledge of", but more like just "find out what the
likely / declared state of affairs is".)  And similarly if I'm some other
virtual world, and I only want to (say) let this always-free item flow to
other grids that support always-free, I need to be able to determine
whether or not a given other grid supports that.  Very simple.  :)

In terms of the  higher-level discussions that have been going on here, I
have to say that I take the pragmatic view that, while it's certainly true
that no machine-representable permission bits are going to completely
capture all of the legal and illegal uses of a given virtual object in a
given jurisdiction, it can do a good-enough job in a large-enough set of
circumstances to be well worthwhile.  A system where the software allows
anyone to arbitrarily copy and modify and transport anything, and for IP
enforcement we rely on human-readable licenses and the eagerness of all
end-users to understand and obey the IP laws, doesn't seem like a system
that would actually work, attractive as it might be otherwise.  (And
apologies if that description is a total straw-man; I have to admit I
haven't understood 100% of the recent discussion in this thread.)

Dale Innis
DaleInnisEmail at gmail.com