[sldev] My question about intellectual property and Second Life

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 28 13:21:42 PDT 2008

From: "azdel slade" <secondloop at gmail.com>

> I don't understand why people keep using this term Intellectual
> Property with respect to Second Life. It seems to me that we're
> talking about Copyright, who has the privilege to copy items to where
> when depending on the license the original author chose.

I think you answered your own question there.  :)  We're talking mostly
about copyright, but since we're also dealing with licenses that may grant
or withhold rights that copyright law simpliciter might not, it also gets
into licensing, contract law, and less legal stuff like Terms of Service,
where a violation may not be a crime or a tort, but may still get you
banned from SL.  It's kind of nice to have a blanket term for that,
although I agree that the implicit analogy to simple property may be a bit
forced.  (Heck, even simple non-intellectual property isn't all that
simple; look at land for instance.)  Terminology is always hard...  :)

Dale Innis
DaleInnisEmail at gmail.com