[sldev] Patch bundles (Joystick, Chat/IM, other ideas)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Aug 28 22:26:17 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

At our open source meeting earlier today, we again discussed the concept
of bundling related patches together for incorporation in one swell
foop.  The idea is to save on both developer and QA resources by being
able to focus on one area of the code at a time, and have a managable
bundle of patches to consider together as a single set of improvements.
Tofu is currently blasting through a set of joystick patches right now
(I see commits today for VWR-7383, VWR-6482, VWR-6482, VWR-8341, and
he's been messing with VWR-5297 in the background for a while).   We're
pretty optimistic that this is how we should have been doing it all along.

In the meeting today, we decided to start bundling right there, and
ended up with this meta issue for the batch of pending Chat/IM issues:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8808

I'm sure there are more patches that aren't properly linked up, so
please point them out.  If you've been thinking about getting a chat
patch in, but have been putting it off, now's a good time to dig in.

Here's the query for all of the pending patches:
https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&status=1&status=3&status=4&customfield_10002=Patch+attached&sorter/field=customfield_10000&sorter/order=ASC&sorter/field=customfield_10020&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=components&sorter/order=ASC

If there are other logical groupings that you see (e.g. a script editor
patch bundle would be handy), please create the meta issue and advertise
it to this list.

Thanks
Rob