[sldev] Trivial solution for VWR-2085

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri Aug 29 05:31:09 PDT 2008

I like very much to hide the viewer UI while I'm in cool
places in-world - it enhances the sense of immersion, it
makes you feel more like being in a movie than using an application, etc.

Unfortunately, since 1 year you can't do this on Linux
anymore, because the shortcut for this feature has been
changed to CTRL-ALT-F1 and Linux users cannot use it.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2085

This is a long-standing bug and it can be solved by
changing the shortcut from CTRL-ALT-F1 to CTRL-ALT-1,
that is a trivial change.

AFAIK, this new shortcut doesn't interfere with existing
shortcuts on Linux and Windows, but I couldn't test it on Mac OS X.

Mac OS X users - could you please confirm that
CTRL-ALT-1 would be ok for you?

Here is how to modify the shortcut:

- edit indra/newview/llviewermenu.cpp
- find this string:
KEY_F1
- replace it with:
'1'
- compile as usual

I tested this on many Linux 1.18.x - 1.21.x releases
and works fine.

BTW, a better long-term solution for this is also available thanks
to Jacek Antonelli - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2896 -
However I don't see it coming to the viewer anytime soon, while this
1-word change may be accepted more easily and quickly.

Opensource Obscure