[sldev] Request for help with modifying client camera behavior

Gordon Wendt GordonWendt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:25:34 PDT 2008

I honestly don't see that happening for several reasons, first, server
overhead would skyrocket if it had to check what's a wall and what isn't
(walls would have to be flagged as such) then it would have to check the
client location, and it would have to on the fly pretty much based on avatar
location and camera angle, the latter I think is controlled client side and
could easily be spoofed in a response to the server, figure out what to
send.  The second problem of course is the network overhead this would cause
because even if it were feasible that's many more instructions sent from
client to server per second to allow for dynamic updating as the character
and/or camer angle move, the third of course is the client side issues this
would cause on top of the obvious spoofing dillema it would mean coding an
entirely new control system into the client to make it so that you don't go
through the walls but can only go as far as the wall and even then can't get
past the top layer (which would be displaying the texture of it) and don't
visually glitch out if you hit a wall.

-G.W.