[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

jwolk at lindenlab.com jwolk at lindenlab.com
Sun Aug 31 20:20:30 PDT 2008

> I have no idea how this would impact the recent trademark filing of
> SLim(tm), or what plans are currently underway regarding the chat system
> (other than the recently added moderation tools, which won't affect the
> root cause of message lag).

I am unsure what discussions have been happening, and moving to something
standard sounds like a good idea.  I do know however that no matter what
the implementation, there will be some amount of computation needed to
send the IM to each user and that the total time to send an IM to N number
of participants will always be dependent on N.
   Now, the implementations may be fast enough that it all seems
relatively instantaneous, but, at some amount of participants (in this
case...some group size), there will be a measurable amount of "lag."
Changing implementations may help remedy the situation but won't have
"no lag" for all groups, for all time.

-Jonathan Linden