[sldev] gtk Q

Glen gcanaday at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 07:56:34 PST 2008

I know of no strictly OGL toolkits, so changing to one is kind of a lost
cause ;P

However, SL essentially has its own toolkit already written. All it
really needs is a few widgets re-written, it seems. If I'm way off base
then so be it; I'm not familiar enough with the viewer code to make that
kind of judgment, nor am I familiar enough with gtk. Personally, I think
if mozlib requires gtk, then SL requires gtk. Reinventing the wheel and
writing a new SL-centric browsing engine to do the same thing is too
huge. Maybe a webkit you're talking about would fix that. I really don't
know.

But gtk is GPLd like the viewer is - so it would be OK to port those
widgets into SL's codebase and use SL's UI engine to draw them. Probably
a huge job, and not one that is likely be very high on anyone's wish
list. I'd originally looked at the build requirements and one of the
things that makes it difficult for me - as a beginner with the viewer
code - to compile my own is the fact that the dependencies are so heavy.
So, removing the dependency on outside parts, i.e., gtk for one, would
be a good thing. Lesson in contradiction, haha.

Though, if it were to be done, would it be a welcome thing? And does the
gecko engine require gtk by itself, or just this implementation of it?
Millions of questions surrounding that.

FYI - gstreamer works like absolute *crap* on my system. It's bad,
really bad. Can't play video, period. Yes, all codecs and plug-ins are
installed from the Ubuntu repositories. Yet, the SL viewer never does
anything but crash when I attempt to play video media. Alternative
back-ends are a Good Thing(tm). Xine seems to have no issues. It's not
phonon doing it; it crashed when I was running a pure gtk-Gnome Ubuntu
so I was hoping with phonon it would clear up, but no dice. The only
common element is the presence of gstreamer and SL. Ripping out the
gstreamer-only dependency for media would be absolutely fantastic for
this reason, for me at least. So.. there goes glib and gtk, both, with
the exception of the browser.

I dunno. I'm rambling and thinking out loud with it. I do entirely
believe that using a solely SL UI toolkit might solve (and prevent
future recurrence of) a few issues such as VWR-10136, and once it's
fully 64-bit un-screwed, one can make a 64-bit build without requiring
32-bit compatibility libraries. That should be a roadmap goal I think. I
suppose what I'm actually getting at is that imo it would be easier to
actually get into coding with the viewer if everything that doesn't have
to be platform-specific, wasn't. I'm rambling and this is a book.

Require mozlib, SDL, and OpenAL!

Maybe I should write up a file chooser first. Color pickers are harder.

--GC