[sldev] Metaverse platform gambling 1

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Sun Feb 3 08:10:37 PST 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 16:25:31 Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Why? Other metaverse platforms, and in particular those I mention,
> have features that really should be in Second Life.
What features?

> If, that is, LL
> want SL to be taken seriously as a business soriented metaverse
> platform. And of course, I look fwd to seeing such features integrated
> in SL - but of course that is LL's decision to make.
What features?

You mean "groupware tools, web browsing, spatial VoIP, webcam feeds and
collaborative editing of documents in popular office formats"?

> I can tell you that, in Europe, after a brief good press wave before
> last summer, SL is not taken seriously anymore as a business tool and
> most firms are more interested in other platforms. Dismissing these
> concerns as "not relevant" is like that ostrich with its head stuck in
> the sand in order not to see the dangerous outside world.
What concerns?

The problem is that this is the SL *development* mailing list, and you're
not directly bringing up any technical subjects.

If you think SL really needs a webcam feed then say so directly, and either
offer to implement that yourself, or at least explain why is it needed,
and what do you think it should look like.

IMO it's not very useful to say "SL needs a webcam feed" and leave it at
that. As a developer, my interest is in how is that going to work, how
will the data be transmitted, what codec and protocols are going to be
used, what will be the security implications, whether it will require grid
support, etc.