[sldev] Art and Library tarball handling

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Tue Feb 5 11:29:10 PST 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 19:45:32 Soft wrote:
> Would it make sense to replace the branch and version with the md5 sum
> for these tarballs? Obviously this would make it tough to tell which
> tarball goes with which version without referring to the commit
> messages or doc/asset_urls.txt in the source drops. The onus would be
> on the downloader to keep track with scripts, or by making named
> subdirectories to contain the tarballs. Is this a problem?

You mean that instead of say:
SLASSET_ART=http://secondlife.com/developers/opensource/downloads/2008/02/slviewer-artwork-Branch_1-19-0-Viewer-r79209.zip

It'd be something like:
SLASSET_ART=http://secondlife.com/developers/opensource/downloads/2008/02/slviewer-artwork-c0387ba22f8ae20b2b70995e2f0289cf.zip

?

That sounds good to me, I track it with scripts already anyway. I plan to
publish these soon for general usage as soon as I'm sure there's nothing
stupid in there.

If I may make a suggestion, could you provide tarred version of the
artwork?

ZIP tools on Linux lack the very useful --strip-components tar argument,
which makes it easier to work with source directories that aren't
called 'linden'.