[sldev] Proprietary dependencies (Re: Compile as installer)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:04:55 PST 2008

On 2008-01-31, at 17:19, Dzonatas wrote:
> ...to an extent.  The GPLv3 makes it more clear the intent of the
> GPLv2.  Businesses that stay with the GPLv2 instead of switching to
> GPLv3 do stay there because their exceptions don't agree with the
> GPLv3. There was a period of time that businesses thought that the
> exceptions were the right thing to do, but we find that many took
> over-advantage of the GPLv2 terms (or holes).

I don't like the implication that the exceptions were or are a
mistake. They may still be the right thing to do. If you didn't meen
to imply that they were a mistake, I apologize, but that's how it
reads to me.

Don't forget, they're also allowed to specify "GPL3, with these
exceptions" or even "GPL3 or GPL2, as appropriate, with exceptions".