[sldev] visual muting

Eric M. Tulla tulla at lindenlab.com
Tue Feb 5 11:39:20 PST 2008

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Dave Parks wrote:
>> I just finished visual muting for avatars using impostors (muting an
>> avatar strips them of attachments and renders them as a solid grey
>> silhouetted impostor that only updates every 16 frames).
>
> Why avatar impostors instead of LOD?  It looks like LOD processing is
> already there and it's just a matter of tuning it.  Given the rather
> ugly appearance of imposters, there must be some advantage.
>
> Mike

Using impostors for visual muting allows you to display a muted avatar
using only 2 triangles (a billboard) with minimal pre-computation, while
still somewhat preserving form.  Using LOD would require greater
overhead for the actual muting and less of a performance gain,
especially if you want to preserve shape (even with a really low LOD
you'll still be drawing many, many more triangles per frame).