[sldev] force object redraw?

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:27:51 PST 2008

On 2/5/08, Anna Gulaev wrote:

> Still, the objects persist until selected. Sortof.

I think I have a better handle on what's happening. My make-invisible code
is being triggered by ObjectUpdate events. Apparently there's an
ObjectUpdate triggered when you select things, and this is why the timing of
the becoming-invisible varried from session to session. Sometimes it
happened immediately on right-click, sometimes a second or so ofter
selecting, and sometimes on deselect. I think it was just a matter of the
timing of the ObjectUpdate.

Why didn't the first ObjectUpdate--the one that placed the object in the
first place--trigger invisibility? Well, my region scanner is creating junk
data. I think I have a ghost for each correctly scanned region. I don't know
yet if this is a result of scanning before data is available, or because I'm
straddling a border of a sim that is winking in and out (Hyles), or becuase
of a bug in my region scanner. But curiously, the ObjectUpdate that
correctly triggers invisibility happens after the scanner is receiving
proper data. It has nothing to do with selection, other than it being
selection that triggers the ObjectUpdate at a time when it will work.

Anyway, I tuned the stalled-update timer for my region scanner, and now
invisibility is being triggered somewhat faster. I think the first scan is
failing (and maybe this is the source of my bad maps), and now it retries
sooner. It still takes distressingly long to scan the region for parcel
data.

Thank you, Dave, for your help.

Anna