[sldev] Notifications redesign

Kamilion kamilion at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:51:30 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 10:34 PM, Ryan Williams (Which) <rdw at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> Speaking purely personally, I'd rather we didn't put more into the chat
> log.  I like to use the chat log for, well, chat.  I feel like it's
> almost to the point where I need a perl script just to parse my log and
> tell me what was said in the last 5 minutes, instead of poking through a
> jillion friend notifications, voice connection status, etc.

Why not split all of the non-chat out from Near Me to an Event Log tab?
Anything that can be answered via script dialogs should be highlighted
like a URL and clickable.
[18:32] Kamilion Schnook has offered you "Object". Accept? [YES] [NO]
In this example, Kamilion Schnook should be highlighted as a URL (Zi's patches).
YES should be highlighted as a URL and accepts the item.
NO should be highlighted as a URL and declines the item.

Eventually, this could be extended to script dialogs as well, so you
could see neat stuff like:
[18:33] Object Dialog - Item Server: Please make a selection... [Reset
Main] [Reset Monitor] [Reset Display] [Trigger HTTP] [Update
Inventory]

Clicking on one of the responses will send the reply on the specified
dialog channel once, and then dismiss the event as acknowledged so it
cannot be replied to a second time.

Prefix events with a type.
For instance:
Voice Notification: Connected to in-world voice channel.
Online Notification: Kamilion Schnook is online.
Offline Notification: Kamilion Schnook is offline.
Estate Message from Kamilion Schnook: Hey guys, you're lagging the
sim, triggering a restart in 2 mins.
Estate Message from Euphoria Island: Region is restarting in 2
minutes. If you remain in this region, you will be logged off.
Inventory Offer: Kamilion Schnook has offered you "Object". Accept? [YES] [NO]
Balance Changed: You have paid Kamilion Schnook L$50 for "Object".
Balance Changed: Kamilion Schnook has paid you L$5000 for "Euphoria
Island Parcel 3"
Script Error: Kamilion Schnook's "Object" has generated an error:
Stack/Heap Collision
Group Membership: You have been removed from the group "Euphoria Estates".
Teleport: You have teleported from Euphoria Island II <123,21,22> to
Euphoria Island <12,12,620>.

URL links should be placed obviously. Groups should bring up the group
UI, Object names should link to SLURLs to their position, Avatar names
should work like Zi's patch. Any dialog button should be able to be
displayed as a text URL.

Personally, I'd like to see the L$ spent/received notification move to
being a text event versus it's current nature as a Notification
dialog. It's really a pain in the butt to pay a vendor then end up
clicking Decline on the item offer when you're aiming to dismiss the
payment dialog instead.

And I can't stress this one enough: Release Keys needs to be moved off
into a menu. I've used it intentionally twice in the 3 years I've been
inworld, it really doesn't need to be staring me in the face whenever
I have my mystitool attached. (Which is always... Teleport history
FTW!)

Just adding my two cents to the pot. Whoever implements gets to cash-out! ;)
--Kamilion