[sldev] Notifications redesign

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:29:11 PST 2008

On 2008-02-13, at 00:34, Ryan Williams (Which) wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> The alarm log should probably go into chat log (and by the way I
>> like having the URL of teleports in the chat log, that's an easy
>> and clever way to handle teleport history... though that should
>> really be a secondlife: URL and not a SLURL).

> Speaking purely personally, I'd rather we didn't put more into the
> chat log.

I understand your consternation, which is why I suggested that a
button be added to filter out everything but chat, an endeavor that
would be easier in the log itself. Speaking for myself, I must agree
with you that filtering by type would be much preferred (and in fact
that is typically what one is able to do in real time alarm logs) but
I suspect that most users would prefer a simple button to hide the
chatter and concentrate on the chat.

On the other hand, now that Apple has popularized a rather nice
filtering interface in iTunes (and extended it in Spotlight), perhaps
it would be worthwhile to make the logs more generic. Define a "log
window" that subsumes both chat and IM logs, and add a little "+"
button in the corner that allows you to add lines of iTunes smart
playlist style filters to them.

Oh, and such an interface would not go amiss in the Inventory window
as well. :)