[sldev] Timing of source releases (Re: Sources for WindLight v1.19.0.79674 ?)

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Thu Feb 14 06:47:30 PST 2008

Soft wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2008 7:44 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>>It should be possible to use the sldev-commits tarballs to build a full
>>install image.
>
> If that's not the case, please JIRA and discuss. At present, the svn
> drops should include everything that was produced by the release team,
> with the bonus of doc/asset_urls.txt to help you automate fetching of
> the art and (if you use them) library tarballs.
>
> The point of these sldev-commits releases is to give a finer-grained
> view of our development process. If you see something unwanted pop up,
> you can pinpoint when it happened to within a couple days now.

I had heard that it is not possible to create a Setup.exe.  Is it now
possible?

There are two ways that I use the source releases.  The first is to make
a modification to an existing release, build newview.exe, and tell
others to install version x.x.x(x) and move newview.exe to the bin
directory there.  A fairly simple process.  A Setup.exe would work too,
but it would be much bigger.

The other thing is to look at defects.  As far as I can tell, defects
are reported against releases.  Reporting defects and delivering patches
against a fine-grain drop would seem to make it more difficult to reproduce.

I can understand why LL may want snapshots of their development, but I
don't see how it helps open source developers.  For open source, you
need a solid shared reference.  The RC branch is the obvious place
because that is the latest code that residents can run, but sometimes
the FL branch or stable branch is needed too.

For other branches, the only interest of the open source community that
I see is a preview of the features.

Of course I can't speak for everyone, but I tend not to be shy about
speaking anyway. :-)

Mike