[sldev] Frequent bugs with difficult repros

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 08:08:56 PST 2008

Soft wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
>
>>  On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 13:24 +1100, Tateru Nino wrote:
>>  > Double chats in IM groups? That's caused by packet loss between the
>>  > viewer and the sim, honey. Same as double-chat in local chat, and in
>>  > person-to-person IMs. It also causes out-of-order chat.
>>
>>  So when is our chat going to be transported by this new-fangled TCP
>>  thing? I hear it deals with packet loss and retains ordering...
>>

> I'm pretty sure TCP is just a fad.
>
> Actually, I thought this had already gone TCP. I'll ask around, but if
> any other Lindens want to chime in...

Depends. Even if it is tcp, application level sequencing and controls
over messaging flow, acknowledgement and order can still duplicate your
data - depending on whether you're second guessing the transport with
your own scheme, and how you've got it implemented.

--
Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/