[sldev] Re: Commercial CAVEs / stereoscopic displays

Mark Dubin mark at 3demb.com
Sun Jan 6 19:25:07 PST 2008

Hi Folks,

Dale Mahalko wrote on Jan 5, 2008 a note about stereo display of SL:

> (clip)
> Has anyone tried using SL with CAVEs like this yet? (I expect a person
> would need to either be insanely rich or have access to a well-funded
> university to do it.)
> (clip)

When my University had a CAVE a few years ago (now closed) we
successfully viewed many scenes basically similar to parts of SL
SIMs. I am now retired, and managing partner is a small startup (3D
Embodiment, LLC, http://3demb.com) that provides immersive 3D
displays in real life, and that is developing content in SL on our
Embodiment Island. In part, we are investing in SL because we were
aware that viewing it in stereo was coming.

The references Dale gave to BARCO reflect what is available from a
number of commercial firms, at relatively high cost. For example, a
vender of interest is Fakespace (http://www.fakespace.com).

However, one does not need a full-fledged, multi-walled CAVE to get
the benefit of human-scale immersive visualization type, virtual
reality. A more affordable solution is the GeoWall (http://
geowall.geo.lsa.umich.edu/intro.html) type system. I like to think
of this as essentially a one-wall cave (bordering on being an
oxymoron). It is a single screen that reproduces the front wall of a
CAVE at whatever size one chooses to use. Installation can be
permanent (I still do research at our lab using ceiling mounted
projectors and an 8' X 11' front-projection screen) or portable, such
as the setup my company uses for demonstrations on a 5' X 8' portable
screen. I can report that stereo SL looks very good on this portable
setup.

A Geowall system is "relatively" low cost. You need: two DLP
projectors, a polarization retaining screen, polarizing filters and
glasses, and a normal PC with a good two-headed graphics card (we use
Nvidia Quadro cards, FX-3450 or better). Starting from scratch, a
very good system can be build for about $7,000 (or less). The GeoWall
website has lots of details, and I will be happy to provide more info
to anyone who wants it. With advances in projector technology and
decreasing prices, I think a system could be built even more cheaply
in the coming year.

"Threedee Shepherd"/Mark Dubin