[sldev] Viewer Source Release of RC-1.18.6.2

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Tue Jan 8 10:23:45 PST 2008

One more thought...

Joshua Bell wrote:
> Matthew Dowd wrote:
>> I think what we would welcome from a roadmap is not only version
>> numbers and rough (liable to change) dates, but also some idea of
>> what is planned (again with the usual "this is provisional" caveats)
>> for the new versions.
>>
> Yes, this is something we should do a better job of. One issue is that
> our development model is basically "let projects into the trunk until
> we hit a freeze date, then freeze, then ship ASAP after the freeze",
> which means that until the freeze date what's in a release isn't
> known, and we try and turn things around pretty quickly (i.e. generate
> a viewer RC0 within a few days)

Since we're very decentralized, we also encourage development teams to
comment here on what they're doing well before it hits the release
pipeline (which is the point when I can semi-competently speak to it).
For example, Studio Icehouse (Tess, Donovan & co.) have been very active
in commenting on the viewer authentication work well before it hit the
trunk, and the crew working on WindLight (Asi, Dave, etc) have popped in
as well to answer questions about the roadmap for the rendering pipeline.

This isn't something we dictate, but everyone at Linden knows how useful
sharing this information is.

Joshua