[sldev] Character/Avatar Engine

Ian Wilson ian at neon.ai
Tue Jan 8 16:49:31 PST 2008

As a first stage we will update the client to change the behavior of the
local avatar but then we would want to transmit those changes (using
some custom messages) to other avatars using the updated client system.
This, of course, is also another point of concern in the project.

> Either you'd have to use a separate server for your messages like SL
> does for voice chat, or you'd have to convince LL to make server
> changes (not very likely).
       So it is possible to route messages from the client to non LL
servers? Is this a straight forward process or a major client change?

       One solution could be to "stuff" the data into other messages
(piggybacking) for now to test the functionality or perhaps use chat
text as a messaging system (parsing text in the client). As the initial
phase of what we are doing is a technology demo we have the liberty to
hack, fortunately.

>> Do you have anything written up on your work with lip syncing? That
>> might be a useful guide for what we are looking at.
>
> See  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Mm_Alder/LipSync

       Great link, very useful for the animation system in general,
should be more prominent.