[sldev] Certified HTTP (and Escrow!) Project Update Jan 8

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue Jan 8 17:19:07 PST 2008

It's been a while!  Glad to be back, hope you all had a great holiday.

This past week has been a documentation week for us.  We went through
and added tons of api documentation to the code, and wrote up this wiki
page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Certified_HTTP_Versioning

There's still more to do, though, and documenting the escrow more fully
is next on the list.

On chttpdev, we've been discussing how to handle the case of migrating
agents, alongside a philosophical discussion about the applicability of
the "shuffle" model to group membership.

Code changes include:
  - tpool.py, which performs a similar function to saranwrap in that it
performs nonblocking database operations, but it's a lot faster since it
uses threads instead of processes and therefore doesn't incur
serialization overhead.  Tpool made the oplog benchmark 10 times faster!
  - There's also some code in server.py that allows one to retry
requests on the server without the client's participation, for debugging
purposes.
  - Lastly, escrow resources (RSRCs) can now be versioned without
bumping the revision of the escrow itself.  How to do this needs to be
added to the wiki.

-RYaN

P.S.  Mad props for the Python syntax highlighting on the wiki.