[sldev] Roadmap: 1.19.0 Viewer

Tao Takashi tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:18:40 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 12:20 AM, Latif Khalifa <latifer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kelly Linden wrote:
> > Anders Arnholm wrote:

> >> Jabber back end would be really great... and jabber login :-)
> >>
> > Even jabber does not support the 'passive listener' mode, where you auto
> > join a channel you are 'interested in' when someone says something in
> > the channel.  Even just typing that it seems bizarre that we have
> > developed chat to a point where that makes sense.  It could of course be
> > done with a client hack where you join the channel just don't draw the
> > tab until you get an actual chat line (not a join/part message etc) for
> > the channel/room/group.  Every dedicated chat system that I know of only
> > has 2 modes: you are in the channel and can see the chat or you are not,
> > and you won't see the chat.  The half way sort of interested but not
> > really there until something interesting happens is *weird*.  I would
> > very much like to see us move away from that model if possible.  Does
> > anyone know any other chat system that behaves this way?
> >
> > Disclaimer: The above is not a statement of intent or work - Jonathan is
> > doing some good work on meeting more people's expectations than I
> > would.  It is merely me expressing my desire that more of our system
> > work in "industry standard" ways when at all possible.  Someone is going
> > to read this and interpret it as "LL says they are going to do FOO" -
> > and the fear of that happening has prevented me from discussing issues
> > on this list in the past.  I'd like to get past that, so the disclaimer
> > is now almost as large as the actual content of this message.
>

> Many communities/support groups depend on the current behavior. The
> reason we want this unique solution where IM tab appears on demand is
> that in SL is the group chat is one of the subsystems that we use all
> day, its not the main focus of our activities. We do not have screen
> real estate to have all those group chats tabs open as we would have in
> a dedicated IRC / other IM client.

Isn't this just a little UI thing anyway? If this means changing the
underlying jabber protocol
this obviously shouldn't be done for interoperabilty reasons but just not
showing the tab
seems to me to be just a UI thing. We might even think of automatically
hiding the tab if
nothing happens for some time. But not sure if this won't be confusing.
Then again screen estate is the same for an IRC window and this seems to
work there, too ;-)

-- Tao

taotakashi at gmail.com
Blog: http://mrtopf.de