[sldev] Musing over possible connection between VWR-3951 and SVC-972

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 07:42:04 PST 2008

In http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-3951 (now shelved with the other logon screen issues) Periapse notes that the problem (404 errors appearing instead of the logon screen and logon screen stalls) is due to URLs being mangled somewhere on the LL web servers:

"The 404s are because of a mangled url.

Originally we indicted the load balancer as the source of the mangling (which happens during the redirect to https). Upon closer examination and direct testing we discovered that the mangling happens on the web servers themselves. We are now trying to isolate precisely where it happens."

What struck me is that this doesn't sound a millions miles off some other issues in jira, e.g. http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-972 (logoffs during teleport). In SVC-972, Jake's prognosis is:

"Now that does make it interesting, since it sounds like the HTTPS message is being dropped from the sim to the HTTPS forwarding service which sends it on to the client."

Now, I don't know the LL web server topology, so I don't know if the same "web servers" are involved here, or if different web servers are involved whether they are running the same software, but from the outside, it does seem plausible that the same problem which causes the URL mangling on the web servers used in the authentication might also be causing similar problems with other communications which happen between the client and the SL services i.e. might be behind the teleport issue above, and perhaps some other issues?

Anyone from LL, who knows the system care to comment?

Matthew