[sldev] How server decide what to send?

Qian Hao ~ ts_ryuzo at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:00:52 PST 2008

Hi,

It's about rendering again. Previously, I understand that the client does not request for what they see in front of them but send a camera to the server and the server will send back the prims. Is there any decision algorithm that the server run to decide what to send first?

Secondly, is it right that the client, after receiving the prims will run occlusion and culling then tell the server what texture file they need?

I was thinking maybe we can write an algorithm to predict player's movement and send a "fake" camera to the server to get the necessary prims from the server first before the player actually move to that location or direction. Will that improve the performance of the client?

Regards,
Qian Hao