[sldev] Scripting Survey

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 02:15:43 PDT 2008

Nik Radford wrote:
 > However alot of the lag that was caused on sims was due to the poor
> scheduling of scripts. Where every script was getting a minimum time even
> when they were idling. So the number of scripts present in the sim became
> an extremely active part how performance was effected. (correct me if I'm
> wrong however). I believe improving the scheduler will have a large impact

This is correct.  I believe this was encapsulated in the "improved
script scheduling" item.

On the plus side, idle scripts are using less time now that CPUs are
faster, an idle script uses about 0.0015 ms per frame on class 5,
compared to 0.003ms on class 4.

This is still too much really, a few thousand scripts still cause
serious CPU contention.

This thread is sort of offtopic, we probably shouldn't let it grow too big.

-Jason