[sldev] Scripting Survey

Nik Radford nik at terminaldischarge.net
Thu Jul 3 01:22:07 PDT 2008

Glenn,

Thanks for the reply, in reality we already have one pretty big limit, and
thats the 16K scripts size limit, which I know is being upped to 64K with
mono. I don't suggest removing this limit. This one is fair.

However alot of the lag that was caused on sims was due to the poor
scheduling of scripts. Where every script was getting a minimum time even
when they were idling. So the number of scripts present in the sim became
an extremely active part how performance was effected. (correct me if I'm
wrong however). I believe improving the scheduler will have a large impact
on increasing sim performace where a sim contains alot scripts an imposing
limits isn't likely to be needed. Though I'm sure there could be some
extreme cases where some sort of limit might be needed. Where I'd suggest
making a scripts priority lower in the scheduler (only running its events
every couple of frames instead of every single frame) maybe a better idea
rather than imposing somesort of wall that disables the script.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Also going to forward this to the list, see if it can spark a discussion
(and hopefully not a flame) :)

Nik

> Nik,
> We got responses that ranged from "Yes!" to "OMG, No way" for Script
> Resource Limits.  I guess it depends a lot on your style of
> developing scripts and your view of how this will impact your work.
> Thanks for your participation and response!
> Glenn
>
> On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Nik Radford wrote:
>

>> Pretty much as I expected :)
>>
>> Glenn Fisher wrote:
>>> Thank you to the many of you who took time to take our scripting
>>> survey  - we had almost 250 responses, and its taken a while to
>>> sort through the responses.  Here's a topline summary:
>>>
>>> Priority order based on weighting the rankings (the number is the
>>> weighted ranking):
>>> HTTPIn 1569
>>> LLGive..with Confirmation 1506
>>> C#1.0 Scripts 1313
>>> Script Libraries 1305
>>> CollectionClasses 1030
>>> CLI Assemblies 1015
>>> Improved Scheduling 903
>>> Script Resource Limits 786
>> Still think script resource limits is a big No-No though.
>>
>>> (If ranked solely by the number of responses to rank #1,
>>> Collection Classes and CLI Assemblies change order, but the rest
>>> are the same.
>>> The number of comments varied between 95 and 134, but number of
>>> comments doesn't correlate with ranking.
>>>
>>> Glenn
>>>
>>> Glenn Fisher
>>> Director of Business Programs
>>> Linden Lab

>>> ---

>>> Policies and (un)subscribe information available here:
>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev
>>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated
>>> posting privileges

Nik.