[sldev] Google data exchange format

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 17:51:53 PDT 2008

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL) wrote:
> Indeed, thanks for the link!
> I just tried out the Python version and tried to got it running inside
> a buildout. Works now but could be packaged better IMHO.
> I might test this with pyogp by implementing a new serializer with it.
>
> As what serialization to use is still a question though as all have
> their advantages and disadvantages. e.g. JSON would have the advantage
> of being known to many developers. But Google has some weight so
> protobuf might also be somewhat known very soon while LLSD probably
> not so much. As for efficiency it will probably also come down to
> protobuf.
>
> But as OGP hopefully allows not only one serialization it should be
> fine. We just need a way to let components find out what
> serializations are supported.

Seems to me that LLSD would be a single format file in this system. If
it is robust enough, could replace the LLSD XML format without any code
changes save the one function. Would allow for gradual switchover since
a new viewer  could request  caps to use the new format, while the
default would be the current format.

Lawson