[sldev] RE: Speed of adopting open practices (Re: IJIRA and PJIRA)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 09:07:42 PDT 2008

Matthew Dowd wrote:
> [...]
>
> So a possible scenario would be for LL to start development of SL 2.0 from scratch as a completely open source project whilst maintaining the existing SL 1.0 code until the new version is ready for production. You already have part of the community for that work in the AWG community (and possibly even the OpenSim community - although there are issues re incompatible licenses there). I'm not saying that this is necessarily a model that LL *must* adopt, but one I think LL should seriously think about.

Yo, what do you think the OGP is?

While its going slower than anyone would like, the protocols to be used
in OGP consist of entirely new protocols designed to work equally well
with legacy code and whatever new protocols get incrementally added in
plus the legacy protocols that haven't been addressed yet.

One important reason for doing it incrementally is that certain parts of
the OGP should, without major tweaking to the existing code, give a
[hopefully] huge boost to stability and concurrency for the system.
Another reason, of course, is that Linden Lab doesn't have the resources
to do two separate projects (if you want fully separate projects I refer
you to OpenSim and realXtend, both of which are BSD-licensed).

Anyone who is unhappy with the speed at which the OGP is being
developed, should join the Pyogp project (Apache v2 licensed). The
faster we get a robust test harness designed and implemented, the faster
the work on OGP will proceed. A side benefit will be the light-weight
client that everyone is asking for since part of the design of Pyogp
will be to keep legacy protocols available for regressions testing and
simply to make the harness fully functional while the OGP is in such an
early stage.

We've committed to having daily (or almost) meetings for a while to get
the ball rolling. The first should start this Monday at 9:30 AM SLT.
Check the IRC for the meeting place and any particulars.

Our first office hours with Enus Linden should be at 1 PM SLT this
coming Friday.

IRC:             irc://irc.freenode.com/#pyogp
Mailing list:  https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pyogp
wiki:             http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pyogp

Lawson