[sldev] RE: Speed of adopting open practices (Re: IJIRA and PJIRA)

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 14:13:05 PDT 2008

> Yo, what do you think the OGP is?

Well to be honest I'm not sure ;-)

A question I posed in the very early days of AWG, and to which there didn't seem to be a definitive answer (it rather depended who you ask) was whether it was about a set of protocols to allow multiple virtual worlds to interoperate or about developing a new architecture for a SecondLife 2.0

The same applies to OGP - it seems very much focused on the protocols between VW viewer and server, and possible also betwen VW servers. There is nothing in OGP as far as I can tell about re-engineering the SL server or client architectures from scratch, and I could very well see a scenario where LL adds OGP support on top of the existing codebase or even just develop a protocol bridge between OGP and the current SL protocols.

So, my question to you - is OGP about developing some interoperable open protocols for VW grids and adding those protocol to the SL 1.0 codebase or is it about developing a new SL 2.0 from scratch viewing SL 1.0 as a prototype generating a wealth of knowledge and experience?

Matthew