[sldev] Better build instructions

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jul 25 13:10:15 PDT 2008

Soft wrote:
> 1) Avoid having separate pages for every platform and compiler
> combination.

This happened because very few developers build on more than one
platform.  The only ones that consistently do are Linden developers and
they haven't contributed much to the wiki build pages in the past.

Also, there isn't much duplication across the different pages because
they really need to be different.  Let's see if CMake can change that.

And let's not have any #ifdef equivalents in the documentation.  I hate
skipping around "...and if you're on Mac OS/X...and if you're on
VS2008...and if you're on Ubuntu..."  If it requires that nonsense,
split them.  Even if I do build on multiple platforms, I am doing only
one at a time on one platform.  Keep it simple.

Mike