[sldev] Better build instructions

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 19:01:30 PDT 2008

I see no problem with a new build page for each viewer release.
Re-editing the same page over and over for each release means that
historical build information may become lost or overwritten as time
passes.

It takes about 30 seconds to edit the current (old) build page, copy
the text, make a new page for the next viewer, paste, and then update
this new page to make note of any changes.

So the general wiki layout would be:

Compiling the viewer  - main wiki page
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.10.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.9.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.8.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.7.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.6.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.5.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.4.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.3.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.2.RC]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.20.1.RC]]

The main problem is that many release pages will create a very long
unwieldy list of build pages to wade through, rather than the current
very long unwieldy single build page for all versions. Look far to the
future and you'll have an incredibly large build versions page, uh,
sort of like the current source download page, except bigger yet.

Perhaps you'd want to establish a method for archiving/indexing old
viewers, by major build version? This allows going back all the way to
the beginning with just 20 archive pages:

Compiling the viewer  - main wiki page
== Current Releases ==
[[Compiling Viewer 1.21.3]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.21.2]]
[[Compiling Viewer 1.21.1]]
== Older Viewers ==
[[Viewer Release 1.20 Index]]
[[Viewer Release 1.19 Index]]
[[Viewer Release 1.18 Index]]
[[Viewer Release 1.17 Index]]
[[Viewer Release 1.16 Index]]
[[Viewer Release 1.15 Index]]

For future complexity, it is helpful to note that this will probably
some day be complemented by:

Compiling the Simulator -- main wiki page
== Current Releases ==
[[Compiling Simulator 1.43.2]]
[[Compiling Simulator 1.43.1.2]]
== Older Simulators ==