Criterion for forking build instructions for new source versions(was: [sldev] Better build instructions)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Jul 25 20:24:28 PDT 2008

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On 07/25/2008 02:58 PM, Boroondas Gupte wrote:
>> Ricky schrieb:
>>> the neext question is how do we know when to just tweak the existing
>>> article, and when to split a new article? Do we only ever split?
>> Coming up with a criterion is easy. The difficult part will be to
>> apply it:
>>
>> My suggestion: Whenever it is possible to change the description so
>> it'll *keep working for the versions it used to apply to*, as well as
>> to one (or more) additional version(s), just modify the article (as
>> long as things stay practical and readable, that is). If that can't
>> be done in a reasonable way, fork the article.
>>
>> To determine when that's the case -- well, the wiki articles do have
>> discussion pages.
>
> Another important consideration: consider inbound links, and keep the
> *links* up-to-date.  We need to consider that people will be deep
> linking to this wiki from unexpected places, and search engine results
> may not always be optimal.  For example, the page "Compiling the
> viewer (MSVS2003)" currently has no disclaimer in the title that it
> only applies to 1.20 and older.  When 1.21 is released (and maybe
> earlier), the ideal solution would be to fix that, and for the following:
> 1.  Rename "Compiling the viewer (MSVS2003)" to "Compiling the viewer
> (MSVS2003 - 1.20 and earlier)" with a new disclaimer added to the top
> 2.  A redirect from "Compiling the viewer (MSVS2003)" be placed to
> whatever article tells you how to compile the viewer using CMake,
> since someone who tries to visit that page title probably wants to
> build the latest viewer using MSVS2003.  Links to that URL should go
> to whatever the right instructions are for the latest viewer.
> 3.  Fix up any places where there's a link to "Compiling the viewer
> (MSVS2003)" and it really does mean "give me the old page".
>
> If this sounds like a lot of work; well, it is, which is why fewer
> pages (in the future) is probably better.  It's handy to keep the old
> content around, but it should be increasingly difficult to find,
> because otherwise novices are going to stumble into it and get
> frustrated.

Now that I understand better how Categories work on the wiki, I've been
using them a lot (too much?). Perhaps two categories could be setup and
all current pages go into the *_current category and when they are no
longer useful they get put in the *_archives category instead. If
something appears with a direct link,  it should be marked with
*_current. That way people can know what is current and what is archived
by just checking the relevant category, which can always be linked from
the main * page anyway.

Lawson