[sldev] screen space ambient occlusion

AySz88/Soup aysz88 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 12:10:50 PDT 2008

SSAO is being done in the shadow branch; I don't think they'll be
split from each other.  And with shadows, interior areas will end up
with everything in shadow (unless there are local lights), so you need
something to enhance contrast and depth a bit, which AO does.  While
the screen-space part is a bit of a hack, AO itself is a real-world
phenomenon unrelated to sun shadows, not "faking shadowing" at all.
If you have a cluttered desk, shutter the windows and look at crevices
and creases. :)

I'm not sure of exactly what you're seeing.  But it might be due to
the fact that the data sampling area has to be capped (for performance
reasons - sampling too far away on the screen misses the cache).
Letting it sample arbitrarily far away creates a better result, but
the cost of it balloons from 2-ish ms/frame to 12-ish.

~Cel