[sldev] GPL violation?

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 08:29:33 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Tony <anthonyrbundy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone explain to me why this violates GPL?
>
> I'm not saying that something like this doesn't go against some other rules
> (like TOS or community standards), and I'm definitely not supporting it as a
> product,  but I'm not sure why it was brought up as a GPL violation?
> As long as any modifications they make are available for the original source
> (for free), and that the source of their product is available when
> requested, isn't it following GPL?
> I only bring it up because I want to understand GPL a bit better.
>
> Tony

Under the GPL any derivative works have to release the source (they
can charge up to the cost of the binary form tho).  So if you release
a 3k viewer, then you could theoretically charge 3k for the source
too, but you still have to have the source available.  Read the
license, it is well written and you need to know what your getting
into if you do commercial development.