Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 09:36:56 PDT 2008

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Why?  What advantage is there to sharing builds or avatar meshes
> across different platforms?  Are they worth the effort?

My answer is a resounding yes! The sharing of assets between different
3D worlds is a crucial part of my personal vision of a 3D web. I should
add the disclaimer here that I enter this discussion from a background
in web technology rather than gaming engines and have quite different
views of some architectural points than is perhaps the norm on this list.

I can not see how inter-operable 3D worlds can even consider not having
avatars which can travel between worlds and objects which the avatar can
take with them. Yes, new security models are necessary (you don't want
spammers turning up to your peaceful scene brandishing huge billboards),
but that is just one of the challenges ahead.

The idea of a consistent avatar in principle is similar to the images
people can associate with their name in a discussion forum on the web.

Interoperability for me would be anyone being able to create a 3D scene
in the same way that anyone can create a web page, anyone being able to
run a chat server in the same way that anyone can run a Jabber server or
IRC server. It would be wandering between 3D scenes in the same way that
people browse the web.

In terms of business models - why not 3D representations of online
stores, advertising in virtual spaces... in short the same business
models that surround the web. But really I'm not sure that business
models have a great deal to do with creating technology standards. The
W3C doesn't tell you how to make money on the web, it tells you how to
make a standards compliant web site that everyone can use and will work
with the rest of the web. I think any attempt at building business
values into technical standards will result in a collection of walled
gardens with a frustratingly inconsistent user experience, and never
reach the full commercial potential that we've seen with the World Wide Web.

Sticking with my 3D Web example, an avatar is just an X3D resource which
can be served from a web server and included into a X3D scene in the
same way that an HTML resource can be embedded in an iframe in a web page.

That's my point of view, from a web perspective, of interoperability.

--
Ben Francis
http://tola.me.uk