Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 17:35:10 PDT 2008

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Lawson English wrote:
>> Well, the current AWG focus is on the near-term goal of
>> interoperability (including asset-sharing in some cases) between SL
>> and OpenSim worlds.
>
> They aren't really different worlds, though, just different
> implementations of the same virtual world.
>
>> Linden Lab and IBM are also working on a universal avatar specification.
>
> Although I work at IBM, I haven't heard anything beyond the initial
> announcement.  Anyone else know if there's been any progress?  It's
> net even clear to me if this means avatar meshes or avatar identities,
> which are very different things.
>
>> Long-term, various companies and organizations are already working on
>> interoperability, multiple viewer support, etc.
>
> Why?  What advantage is there to sharing builds or avatar meshes
> across different platforms?  Are they worth the effort?
>
> Mike

You'd have to ask the OpenViewer people. , Also there was some IBM guy
who spoke at the Japan 2008 VW conference a few days ago along with
Philip Rosen. He was hyped on going well beyond preserving avatar
identity. In fact, he correct Phil LInden's 10-year timeline for full
interoperability wtih non-SL-compatible worlds, and suggested it would
be far, FAR sooner than that.

Lawson