[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Buckaroo Mu sldev at bitparts.org
Tue Jun 3 09:54:13 PDT 2008

Soft wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Buckaroo Mu <sldev at bitparts.org> wrote:
>
>> What progress is there toward an improved
>> caching mechanism? Is there a way to store the textures in a decoded,
>> ready-to-use fashion? Why is the cache so slow?
>>

> The cache isn't exceptionally slow - it's the jpeg2000 decode that
> really bites here, and storing those decoded would use copious amounts
> of disk space. The quickest win would be multiple image decoding
> threads, seeing as most PCs have two or more cores. No idea if
> anyone's touching that in the near future, though.

Given the dirt-cheap price of HD space these days, why bother
compressing the cache, given that the decode is so expensive time-wise?
Enlarge the cache maximum size, and toss out the compression - at least
give us an option to try it, and see. A simple checkbox or debug option
"UseCompressedCache" or somesuch defaulted to yes - then those of us
with plenty of space can try it out. People are screaming about texture
load times - I can't imagine they wouldn't sacrifice some disk space for
a large boost in performance.