[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:15:02 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Tateru Nino <tateru.nino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use a PNG or vanilla jpg compressor to save space on disk (and let the user
> set the compression quality with a slider to let them decide how much
> bang-for-the-buck they want out of their chosen megabytes of storage), then
> you've got far less work to do decoding than the jpeg2000 decompressor -- or
> so I presume. If I got all that fatally wrong, just whack me with a rolled
> up man page.

Format must be capable of saving alpha channels as well. i don't
believe standard jpeg does this. You also have the overhead of an
additional encoding which may only be done once, but if you are
flicking around would be come a headache and would just get turned
off. Also re encoding, need to be careful if it was lossless image,
especially sculpties or they will just turn to **** with compression
artifacts.

Most (processor) efficient way to save files is to just save the
LLRawImage data as it is, then it can be directly recalled into a new
LLRawImage when its recalled. This should maximize speed and disk
space usage at the same time ;-)

Robin