[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:08:43 PDT 2008

Compromise? A lighterweight compressed cache format? Admittedly, yes,
the textures would still be coming down as jpeg2000 - which means they
would have to be decoded and recompressed before they went in the cache
- which is wasteful. But it's wasteful once per texture transfer, not
once per texture fetched from the cache.

Use a PNG or vanilla jpg compressor to save space on disk (and let the
user set the compression quality with a slider to let them decide how
much bang-for-the-buck they want out of their chosen megabytes of
storage), then you've got far less work to do decoding than the jpeg2000
decompressor -- or so I presume. If I got all that fatally wrong, just
whack me with a rolled up man page.

Dante Tucker wrote:
> I definatly second this as an option. Provided there is no technical
> reason this can't be done :)
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Buckaroo Mu <sldev at bitparts.org
> <mailto:sldev at bitparts.org>> wrote:
>

>     Given the dirt-cheap price of HD space these days, why bother
>     compressing the cache, given that the decode is so expensive
>     time-wise? Enlarge the cache maximum size, and toss out the
>     compression - at least give us an option to try it, and see. A
>     simple checkbox or debug option "UseCompressedCache" or somesuch
>     defaulted to yes - then those of us with plenty of space can try
>     it out. People are screaming about texture load times - I can't
>     imagine they wouldn't sacrifice some disk space for a large boost
>     in performance.

Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/