[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Tue Jun 3 12:40:05 PDT 2008

Sean Lynch wrote:

> I thought we already had a separate texture decoding thread; isn't
> that what "enable multiple threads" does in the advanced menu?

I looked at that code a while ago, from what I saw threads are always
enabled (but note that not every "thread" that is derived from one of
the thread classes is actually run threaded. The place to look at here
is initThreads() in llappviewer.cpp.

So if I see this correctly, texture decoding and texture caching thread
are currently run threaded, only the texture fetching is not.

As for the advanced switch "Run Multiple Threads": if it is enabled, the
texture decoding and caching threads are run in parallel with rendering,
else they are put to sleep right before (but they are not frozen so I
guess depending on the workload it's possible that one of them extends
into the begin of rendering which is probably the cause for VWR-4067
since it occured in a debug build where things naturally run a bit slower).

Also if MEM_TRACK is defined, threading is disabled (all "threads" run
in the main thread in this case).

Carsten