[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 22:04:55 PDT 2008

Ann Otoole wrote:
> Time Warner is going to try forcing metered bandwith on the cable modem community they serve.
> So the ugly head of the end of unlimited bandwith use raises it's head once again.
> (Presumably because of those few horrid torrent/movie downloaders messing everything up for the rest of the planet. Yes thats right, instead of closing off the pipes used by the abusers they choose to make more money by harming the community in general. Typical Time Warner choice as opposed to upgrading their antiquated copper wire infrastructure eh? anyway i worry that heavy SL users (such as content creators) may be about to lose any further incentive for bothering with virtual worlds...)

I'm all for metered bandwidth.  I'd love to pay for what I use, instead
of subsidizing other people's usage.  This whole idea of selling
something as unlimited, that isn't unlimited, created this problem in
the first place.

In the Second Life case, I think it just comes down to being able to
choose your cache behavior.  Metered users can choose to cache more
aggressively (and keep more compressed items cached locally) to reduce
the bandwidth usage.

Unmetered users might instead choose a different behavior.  There are
some tweakables here that I don't think are going to ever be universally
right for everyone.

-Jason