[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 22:39:58 PDT 2008

Looks like SL uses about 4MB per minute if your doing anything like moving around.

You'll get about 24 hours of SL time per month from Time Warner at the rate SL uses bandwith. (assuming my math is correct)
I.e.; 5GB per month max and $1 per GB over.

And the Comcast mode of operation will be to cancel accounts of people that use a lot of bandwith. So SL users will simply be kicked off the internet unless the "auto lag system" to slow the connections down works. But that will kill off those users from using SL anyway.

Looks like SL may be coming to an end along with most use of the internet unless a political solution is hammered in to force the internet service providers to use the money they have been making to bring the US network infrastructure up to modern standards.

All this metaverse effort may be totally moot now.

But really.. I observed bandwidth without SL running and just using stuff like yahoo mail and pretty websites with lots of google ad sense and especially news websites uses about the same bandwidth as SL if you actively use a web browser. I think the cable companies are going to get themselves in trouble with this entire sham they are perpetuating. I seriously doubt Google and the news media is going to be real positive to the thought that use of the internet will effectively cease because using the internet will cost more than gasoline.

Guess we will see. Back to the reality of SLDev.

I think some serious effort will be needed to knock down bandwidth utilization in general if SL and metaverses in general are to survive the ISP greed factor.
I.e.; SL and metaverses will need to run smooth over DSL since thats where all the internet business will be going. DSL and direct TV for television entertainment. The days of the internet as a streaming media medium in the USA appear to be over.

Suffice to say cache performance and storage capacity may need to be escalated to showstopper level criticality.

This is important enough for metaverse involved companies to get on Congress about immediately.

Thats enough of this depressing topic. I look forward to seeing progress on the cache performance and http texture pipeline soon.