[sldev] CMake project merged to release branch!

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:20:50 PDT 2008

Bruce Tong wrote:

> I tried to track down the source of this failure.
>
> In main.cpp of VSTool, starting at line 315:
>
>                     Type objType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID(progid);
>                     dte = System.Activator.CreateInstance(objType);
>
> It looks like GettypeFromProgID() returns null. The progid value is
> being set in GetVSProgID(), based on "VC80" it is being set to
> "VisualStudio.DTE.8.0".
>
>>From this point I'm speculating since I've not done any development
> for Windows since 1994.
>
> I assumed null was the result when the type could not be found. I
> further assumed since I have an express edition of 2005, that
> "VisualStudio.DTE.8.0" might not be the right string. So I read a
> bunch of web pages, poked around in the registry, and for the .sln
> extension the ProgID on this computer might be
> "VisualStudio.Launcher.sln", but I also see things like
> "VCExpress.cpp.8.0". I'm not really certain if I'm on the right track
> here, or not.

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-7680

Yea we were on this today on #opensl

It appears that the express editions do not register themselves the same
way as the Standard or better editions.

Its the DTE's you are looking for

For express there is reference to VCExpress.DTE which links to
VCExpress.DTE.9.0 (on my system) but the CLSID this then contains is not
a registered com objectm if i look at my Standard installed VC 2003 .NET
i have a VisualStudio.DTE.7.1 and the com objects are registered
correctly. (And VSTool.exe works perfectly on my 2003.NET (standard
edition) but not on my 2008 Express.

I think its a limitation of express versions

Robin