Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Belxjander Serechai belxjander at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:20:55 PDT 2008

What is actually being transported and what are the spaces being
transported between?

if OSgrid.org is my room and the LL SL grid is the next room...then
there is an obvious compatability,  same root tech,
  however transfer of AV concept would remain local to the owner while
others may see entirely different AV forms in MMORPG systems,

as for content (Asset) provision,  I see Web style Server Farms
happening... each Farm having own key...
  something like a "keyring" function for access seems appropriate,
as content providers would host for a creator,
  and each item would need a user/creator/provider keychain,

as for Inventory,  a similar model can be introduced...

as far as AVs are concerned... this is a "root" object of transfer,
  whats needed to support the AV?,

What "objects" is the AV going to have "come with it" ala "Airport baggage""...

I forsee something similar to an "Airport" for Inter-realm
transfers... similar to International customs,
  each "realm" OSgrid/LLSL/WoW/... needs to define what it will and
will not "import" as baggage permissions,
  and then the technology has to provide for inter-connection, ...

every "site" is going to need "grid" and "user" support with
allocation for "anonymous" users being part of the "passport"
keychain,
  as you are talking about Identity,  you need to have a
representation of Identity in each "realm" or VW,  and then an
interconnection agreement as well,

The standards as I see it need to focus on making the interconnection
and access of assets being "user/server/provider" keyed so that any
individuals Items
  are permissible,

I use 'Freija Yoshikawa' on both the Linden and OSgrid realms,   I
would want for the login on each to represent the same AV,
  the material on OSgrid started there,  and the material on the
Linden grid started on the LLSL grid,

I would have a "Suitcase" where I would "pack" what I wish to keep
with me,  and then travel between the two,...
  when I am in the OSgrid using the LLSL AV,  I would expect *my* view
on my local machine to remain the same,  however,
  I personally do not expect what other people to see to be the same
(maybe I am given a "basic visitor" AV to start?)

Once I am on the OSgrid realm,  what is stopping me from purchasing or
making content there,  and this is where the travel interconnect
agreement comes into play,

are "Materia"(Assets/Inventory) I make on the OSgrid using the LLSL AV
presence with OSgrid Passport(UserLogin) going to be hosted where?
  the answer to that seems obvious to me... I am on the OSgrid,
therefore hosting for Inventory remains on OSgrid,

the only issue I see is how to make any interconnect between realms
allow for "luggage" like a suitcase... or some kind of "permissible"
hosting,

What is to stop a User Client from "keeping" access to Assets and
Inventory when crossing between grid/realms?

example 2:  I travel back from OSgrid to LLSL using Freija Yoshikawa,
my "Primary" Inventory is now LLSL again with full access restored,
  and the OSgrid Inventory is now "Secondary"...  in this case I may
have full login and access to both LL and OSgrid services...

a modular client with Inventory access to both systems as Full
credentialled login... transfer of inventory would become easy...
  but the key to the above examples is actually "walled garden" model
with an interconnect...

every "web site" I visit I consider to be a walled garden,
disney/microsoft/borland/... whomever... they want to "keep" custom
with you
  each realm without interconnect loses customers... where are they coming from?

Customers are visiting through Interconnects... a Web Browser is
interconnect to ALL web services through a common HTTP/HTML standard,
  I see a base requirement of Assets and Inventory needing the same
kind of paired protocol/format evolution,

Ive already worked up a basic idea that would work and still provide
for some legal concerns to be dealt with...
  but would require that any SecondLife grid style system with content
creation is not just *any interconnect will do*...

LL is first provider for the SecondLife grid and protocol,   now we
need for a non-LL business to be providing a grid as well,
  along with an interconnection agreement and mechanism in place.

just because there is a legal divide between LL and OS about code
(GPL/BSD license)... does not mean there needs to also be
  a non-communication divide as well,   the only division there is
legal and related to the code (GPL doing pacman to BSD)

Yes the above can be a "walled garden" but I see the above as
"provider" gardens and interconnects between garden "realms"
  how many business will use the same provider ?
  and who will access each providers system for a given service ?

The above model does have the LL"main" and LL"teen" grid approach in
seperating Adult material from minors...
  they WILL find out eventually,... just dont let the technology
override the parents choices...

There is also another social impact... provision of the grid AND the
business ON that grid are not the same company ...
  LL does the grid,  IBM/Microsoft/etc... market on their grid...
there is nothing stopping alternative providers of grid services...
  but there does need to be an honourable means of marketing to the
end users to let them decide where to go...

Do you go to Tahiti or the Bahamas or Japan for a Holiday ?  or are
you going for other reasons?
  How about Europe?

ALL of the above is available seperately and is a rehash of a
conversation I had on the EFnet/#OpenSIM IRC channel,
  the first thing about a "3D" system like SL is that there is still
the 2D mapping limitation...

each "realm" may be "flat" but whats to stop an alternate region
mapping things in 3D as well?

Im personally hacking at a modified OpenSIM to run a cube of grid
regions... going *any direction* beyond a region boundary in
  X Y or Z axis *will* step you to another region...  whats to stop a
given "region" within a grid having the special "interconnect"
property?
  and promoting anyone who enters that region as being TP'd to a
"staging island" region... call it Teleport/Stargate/DimensionJump/...
Whatever...

the name doesnt matter so much as getting from A(origin realm) to
B(target realm)

Any Client no matter HOW feature rich is still a "browser" for each of
the virtual worlds...  is the "world" it is accessing "complete" or
only "part"?

LLSL and OSgrid are now fragments of that "world"... with the result
split... therefore to appease everyone.. allow for a non-single
provider...
  *make* the market by providing for it... either content within the
realms or the realms themselves, ( I am looking to make realm service
and content seperate )

Contact Names
「IM & Email」Abhセレチャイベル
「IRC & Chat」Belxjander Serechai
「LLSL/OSgrid」Freija Yoshikawa
「Real?Life?」Jeremy Sutherland

I also play on Guild Wars / Exteel and Fury systems occasionally, ...