[sldev] Texture caching/bandwidth/performance how to proceed

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:17:26 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Dale Mahalko <dmahalko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there some particular reason the caching is limited to just
> textures? It appears that most everything else also has the potential
> to also be cached. Sounds, primitive shapes, notecards, linksets, and
> the terrain shape should also apparently be locally cachable.

No technical reason, that i know of anyway for things like animations
and sounds, even notecards and things that have an asset server LLUID.

The current system does cache sounds, animations etc for a single
session but they are deleted when the viewer closes.  This is
something i will be changing on my private viewer just for the reason
"why the **** am i downloading the same sound/animation etc again and
again"

Now objects shapes and things that are not static are more troublesome
as i suppose you need a way of re synchronizing. I don't know the
message handshakes in enough detail to know how well this could work.
I think some is done now? But i would have thought that the basic
object position/details is fairly low bandwidth information compared
to textures/sounds and the like and the additional overhead may
outweigh the simple waiting for the object update packets, i don't
know.

Robin