[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 05:24:12 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-06, at 00:46, Jason Giglio wrote:

> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 2008-06-04, at 00:04, Jason Giglio wrote:
>>> I'm all for metered bandwidth.
>>
>> I don't think "metered bandwidth" is a good term. Bandwidth is "how
>> much you can transmit per unit of time", and is metered in units of
>> bits-per-second. My bandwidth is capped to 256 kilobits per second,
>> for example. This is good enough to play SL, but not enough to stream
>> HD movies (or stream anything while I'm playing SL).
>>
>> What we're talking about here needs a different term. It's not a
>> bandwidth cap, it's a total traffic cap.
>

> I don't know what you are talking about, but what I'm talking about is
> metered bandwidth.

I know what you're talking about. I'm saying that it's the wrong
term. Your bandwidth (the amount of data you can transfer per second)
is not metered in the scheme you are talking about, the total traffic
(the total amount of data you are allowed to transfer) is. I have
actual metered bandwidth at home. If I want higher transfer speeds, I
pay more. I currently have it set to 256k per second. 256k per second
is a *bandwidth* measurement. 5GB per month isn't... that 5GB can be
a small number of high bandwidth transfers, or a long period with
much lower bandwidth.