[sldev] Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:35:20 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Aimee Walton <aimee at ama-zing.co.uk> wrote:
> When not in use there should be _nothing_ visible in the main content area.
> I don't want to sound defeatist, but that looks far more like unnecessary
> clutter than simply making the information that's _already_ in the menu bar
> active. Yes, we already have a cluttered UI, but adding more clutter doesn't
> seem like an answer to me, it's just side stepping the problem.

I think having the small button visible by default is important from a
usability standpoint. I'm thinking particularly of "discoverability"
-- users see the button, click it to find out what it does, and thus
discover that the functionality exists. Otherwise, the majority of
users wouldn't even know about it, which dampens the usefulness of the
project.

That said, I think there definitely should be a toggle item in the
View menu to turn it off or on, just like there is for the bottom
button bar (Fly, Snapshot, etc.). It would only take about 10 minutes
to add such a thing, and it would soothe the nay-sayers. ;-)

> Living in dreamland for a minute, ideally I'd like to to see the UI made up
> of dockable (and closeable) toolbar sections, so the user can decide the
> arrangement that best fits their window size, workflow, interest priority
> etc. and lose the bits they don't need. Think Adobe Photoshop CS3 etc., with
> saveable workspaces.

Happily, that's a long term UI goal. :-)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_Interface_Improvements