[sldev] Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Aimee Walton aimee at ama-zing.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 07:07:06 PDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 19:35, Jacek Antonelli wrote:

> I think having the small button visible by default is important from a
> usability standpoint. I'm thinking particularly of "discoverability"
> -- users see the button, click it to find out what it does, and thus
> discover that the functionality exists. Otherwise, the majority of
> users wouldn't even know about it, which dampens the usefulness of the
> project.

Very true I guess, I think I was meaning more that it needs to be
incorporated into the menu bar in some way rather than being out in
the main window. Along the lines of the button in the top right of
the title bar on Mac application windows that toggles all the toolbars.

> Happily, that's a long term UI goal. :-)
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_Interface_Improvements

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that, I remember looking at that screen shot
and getting my hopes up before ^^

interestingly, having held up Adobe as a random icon of UI design
yesterday, the first thing I read today is http://blogs.adobe.com/
jnack/2008/06/future_photoshop_ui.html ... defending the reasoning
behind some of their upcoming changes in CS4 :)

Aimee.