[sldev] Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 09:55:00 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-06, at 13:35, Jacek Antonelli wrote:
> I think having the small button visible by default is important from a
> usability standpoint. I'm thinking particularly of "discoverability"
> -- users see the button, click it to find out what it does, and thus
> discover that the functionality exists. Otherwise, the majority of
> users wouldn't even know about it, which dampens the usefulness of the
> project.

This is the same logic that led to the search box in the menu bar,
when there was already a search button on the screen. The usefulness
of a project shouldn't be just based on "how many people use this
particular feature" but also "how well does this fit into the rest of
the system", because there's always going to be SOME feature set that
you don't use, whoever you are, and if you can't get it out of your
face it's annoying.

They eventually made the search box optional.

Nothing should sit between the chat bar and the menu bar that isn't
optional.

Anything between the chat bar and the menu bar should be movable.