[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 03:49:59 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Thomas Grimshaw <tom at streamsense.net> wrote:
> Dante Tucker wrote:
>>
>> Lets all just stop pretending anyone who wants to steal textures can't
>> with the current system. Anyone who wants them can already get them. The
>> only thing storing data raw would do is make them more accesable to people
>> who don't want them and have no knoledge of how to get them currently. And
>> if they don't want them then whats the harm?
>
> Agreed.
>
> I tire of people moaning about IP security.
>
> Your stuff is already stolen, deal with it.

It wasn't ip security i started this about but the general SL
populations "perception". We know here the texture cache might just as
well not mess about and save in a direct format. We know its trivial
to rip a texture now with a 101 methods but ignorance like :-

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-4614
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-6798
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-4503

just to pick a few, not the example i was looking for, there is/was
one somewhere with a pile of votes saying remove the texture console.
And this noise is heard so often and often gets associated with
anti-opensource.

There are no real usable technical solutions to content theft, nothing
technical really works anywhere. As far as i see the only solution is
the social one, where people have the respect not to just rip stuff
off and thats a whole bigger issue than just SL.

May be i just should not care. The libsl guys do not, and they got
blamed for copybot. Closed source or open source, copying is
inevitable, i just don't want open source to get the blame.

Robin