[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Timothy Horrigan timothyhorrigan at mac.com
Mon Jun 9 13:36:28 PDT 2008

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> just to pick a few, not the example i was looking for, there is/was
> one somewhere with a pile of votes saying remove the texture console.
> And this noise is heard so often and often gets associated with
> anti-opensource.
>
> There are no real usable technical solutions to content theft, nothing
> technical really works anywhere. As far as i see the only solution is
> the social one, where people have the respect not to just rip stuff
> off and thats a whole bigger issue than just SL.

Anytime you make content visible to the public, you are running the risk
of them "stealing" it.  Even if you make direct copying impossible, they
can just reverse-engineer it.

In the case of SL, the textures are "stealing" space on my hard drive,
so I should be able to look at the cache files :-)

I liked the people who wanted to eliminate the texture console. even
though they were unable to explain how the texture console would
actually enable a user to rip a specific console.